Good evening ETA readers!
Many of you have probably seen the note that is going around Facebook these days – “25 Random Things about Me”. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this, it is a questionnaire that you can list 25 facts or habits or goals and then “tag” 25 of your friends. Thus in the spirit of Facebook, I present to you…
- The first graduating class from Elon had only 3 graduates! (That was in the year 1891).
- One of Elon’s traditions is the weekly “College Coffee” where students, faculty, and staff get together on Tuesdays from 9:40 – 10:20am to eat free food and have a chance to chat.
- Elon’s Belk Library is open 24 hours from Sunday – Thursday (which is helpful for any last minute papers that need to be written!)
- The Alamance Building (which houses a number of classrooms, faculty offices, both the Bursar’s and Registrar’s offices among other things) is designed so that the front of the building and the back of the building are identical.
- 51 different countries are represented in Elon’s student body in the 2008-2009 school year.
- The Princeton Review and USAToday named Elon one of the nation’s top 100 “Best Value Colleges”.
- Famous speakers that have come to campus include: Jane Goodall, Colin Powell, Ehud Barak, Queen Noor, former President Bill Clinton, Benazir Bhutto, Desmond Tutu, Elie Wiesel, former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, among others.
- The state with the smallest number of Elon alums is North Dakota. (North Dakota has 1 alum living there!) For perspective, North Carolina has the largest alumni population with over 12,600 alumni!
- Recycling started at Elon University in the late 1980s.
- Elon’s “Phoenix Cash” (money put onto a student id card) can be used at over 60 different off-campus locations.
- Through the “Burst the Bubble” program, students can TEACH other students in free, non-credit courses offered during Winter Term. Learn how to clog, study the history and culture of surfing or movie marketing – all from fellow students!
- In the Elon Admissions office, of the 29 staff members in the department, over 50% have undergraduate and/or graduate degrees from Elon as well!
- Elon men’s basketball is celebrating its 100th season in the year 2009.
And more to come in my next post…