With less than a week to go before the United States votes on our next President, I wanted to share an article from CNN.com that features an Elon University student! If you visit the following website: http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/29/battleground.wednesday/index.html, you can read about one of our seniors, Olivia Hubert-Allen, and her thoughts/concerns with the race for the White House. There were 5 college students selected from different “battleground” states and out of all of the college students in the state of North Carolina, CNN.com selected an Elon student.
This truly caps off a fantastic and dynamic year here on our campus in regards to the upcoming national election. Here is what 2008 has brought Elon on a political stage:
- A visit from former President Bill Clinton in the spring of 2008 when he was campaigning for Sen. Hilary Clinton when she was a candidate for the Democratic Presidential nominee.
- A campus-wide debate between Democrats and Republicans that joined both Elon undergraduate students as well as Elon Law School students. Topics included the environment, education, and the economy (among others)
- The Elon University Poll results have been quoted in several newspapers, newscasts, etc. and the Director of the Elon Poll, Prof. Hunter Bacot, was even quoted in a New York Times article. (Read it by clicking here.)
- Republican vice presidential candidate Gov. Sarah Palin visited Elon University in her campaigning for Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain.
I know that people around the Elon campus are excited for the upcoming elections and you can see why – they have had a front-row ticket to politics on a local, regional, and national level! We will see what happens on Election Day (November 4th)!
Happy Wednesday everyone!
So you may be wondering about the title of my email, but truly there are some unique and innovative events and activities that are going on at Elon these days – it truly makes me want to be an undergraduate student at Elon University again!
To give you a sampling of some of these events and activities
- On Thursday, October 16th, Republican vice-presidential candidate Gov. Sarah Palin will be speaking on Elon’s campus. Whether you are supporting the McCain/Palin ticket or the Obama/Biden ticket, it surely promises to be an amazing opportunity! Click here to check out some of the details of her visit to campus. By the way, Elon also hosted former President Bill Clinton earlier this past spring when he was campaigning on behalf of his wife, Senator Hilary Clinton.
- While we are on the topic of speakers at Elon, former U.S. Secretary of State, Madeline Albright, and current CNN news anchor, Anderson Cooper, will be speaking at Elon University this spring. Former U.S. Sec. of State Madeline Albright will be the speaker at Elon’s Spring Convocation for Honors in March and Anderson Cooper will be doing a special lecture in April.
- Interested in skiing in Colorado? Elon Outdoors is taking students out to Colorado to go skiing in December after exams are over – not a bad way to relax after the stress of exams!
- Looking for something to do THIS Saturday night? Why not watch a *FREE* showing of the latest Batman film, “The Dark Knight” on the lawn sponsored by our Student Union Board. By the way, did I mentioned this was free? 🙂
- Elon University is making significant steps in “going green”! You can check out our new Sustainability website here and see that we’re not just saying that we are “green”, but we are actually making it happen!
And this is just a sampling of some of the exciting and innovative events that are occuring at Elon this year….
It definitely makes me want to be a student at Elon again!